What’s the Dental Implant Healing Process?
Getting one or more dental implants is the preferred solution for missing or decaying teeth, as periodontal or gum disease. Owing to technological advancements, this has become a fairly straightforward procedure, especially when performed by an experienced dental surgeon in Temecula, CA or anywhere else for that matter.
After undergoing the procedure, you need to ensure the proper healing of your dental implants. While this entails caring for your dental implants properly and taking the right steps to clean your dental implants, it also requires you to know more about the healing process itself.
How long do dental implants take to heal?
In general, it can take from three to six months for your dental implants to fully heal. However, one of the most important things to keep in mind is that the dental implant healing process can greatly vary from one person to another. A great number of factors can affect the healing process. These factors include:
- How complex your case is. If you require any additional procedures or experience any complications during your dental implant placement, you may need more time to recover.
- Whether your bone is healthy. If you require bone grafting in addition to implant placement, your implants and jaw bone will need more time to heal.
- How you behave after the procedure. You can prolong your recovery if you don’t follow your doctor’s instructions regarding the aftercare and continue practicing some damaging habits such as smoking.
- How strong your immune system is. Your overall health condition and any factors typical for you may also affect the time you need to heal. If you take medications that depress your immune system, it can also negatively affect implant healing
- Whether you have diabetes. This health condition can prolong the healing process since it affects your circulation.
- Whether you take medications to strengthen your bones. Some patients are taking medications to combat osteoporosis. Certain medications, especially bisphosponates, can negatively affect implant healing
- How experienced your dental specialist is. The expertise and experience of your oral surgeon can also affect how long it will take your dental implants to heal. If your surgeon is inexperienced or doesn’t know how to handle possible complications, the placement procedure may be more difficult, affecting the jaw bone and the surrounding tissue.
How do I know if my dental implant is healing correctly?
If you follow your oral surgeon’s instructions and care for your dental implants properly, chances are that your implants will heal without any problems. The best way to tell that your dental implants are healing correctly is the absence of any complications.
For instance, if you notice any possible signs of infection, you will need to consult your oral surgeon. Additionally, any severe pain that hasn’t subdued after a certain period of time may also mean that there are additional problems. In general, any ongoing pain, soreness, and tingling sensation that lasts for months after the surgery should be addressed by your dental specialist.
How can I make my dental implant heal faster?
Once again, the entire recovery process will depend on a number of factors and your dental implants will need several months to heal completely. However, you can take a few steps to facilitate the healing process and avoid any unnecessary complications that could prolong your recovery.
The bottom line is that you need to follow your specialist’s aftercare guidelines and practice good oral hygiene. Boosting your immune system by consuming enough nutrients and getting quality sleep and rest will help you fend off any infections and stay healthy.
We offer a free consultation for dental implants in Temecula, CA
Schedule a free consultation with one of the most experienced and qualified oral surgeons in the area. Dr. Tsvetov specializes in dental implant placement, as well as other maxillofacial procedures. As an ABOMS diplomate, he has the qualifications and certifications that meet the highest standards in the field.
Here at Temecula Facial Oral Surgery, located in the vicinity of Redhawk Community Park, you can also get a free estimate of how much the dental implant procedure will cost and discuss your payment options. Contact us at any time!
Comments are closed.